dipped in egg and fried in oil until crispy and golden brown. There are various recipes some are soaked in wine, syrup or honey but all Torrijas are sprinkled with a delicious cinnamon sugar mix after frying. Here is the traditional recipe for Torrijas, a lovely and simple sweet treat for all the family to enjoy.
1 bread loaf (day old bread is better)
1 liter whole milk
3 tbsp sugar (or honey if you prefer)
1 stick cinnamon
Sunflower oil or similar for frying
Sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Cut the bread into 1 inch (2.5cm) slightly diagonal slices. Arrange them in a shallow dish that can hold the milk.
2. Put all the milk in a saucepan with the sugar and the cinnamon stick, bring to a boil. Turn off the heat the moment it starts to boil and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
3. Discard the cinnamon, then pour the milk on the bread and let soak for one hour.
4. Beat the eggs in a plate large enough to hold at least one torrija.
5. Heat the oil to medium in a large frying pan that can hold several torrijas at the same time. With a large spatula (the bread will be overly soft), carefully transfer the soaked slices one by one into the egg and turn them to coat. Then dip the slices into the hot oil.
6. Fry for 3-4 of minutes on each side, until brown.
7. Take out to a dish lined with a paper towel and thoroughly sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Try not to pile them up while warm. Enjoy warm or cold.